Monday, December 1, 2008

My new Advent tradition

Yesterday I was given an Advent calendar. I had never really had one, but had always enjoyed the thought of the tradition. As I was driving home with the piece I started to think. I certainly didn't need a piece of candy every day, and I didn't think grapes would last. Suddenly something popped into my head. It's entirely possible that this is not an original idea at all, but I'm really excited about it and I wanted to share. If you are looking for a way to celebrate the season other than empty calories...give this a try!

I ripped up 25 pieces of paper and wrote the names of people in my life on each. I folded each of them up, and tossed them into a hat. Then I pulled them out randomly and without peeking I put one in each of the 25 days of the Advent calendar. Each morning I pull one out and say a special holiday prayer for the person or people listed on the paper.

Like I said, no guarantees on the originality, but if anyone is interested in joining me in this new tradition of mine, you are SO welcome to!

1 comment:

Gina said...

What a great idea Kristen, I met a mom today who puts a persons name on a paper as well and e-mail that person on their day...