Thursday, October 23, 2008

Oh...an update on an old subject...

I got caught up in reading my own blogs (is there something egocentric about that?) and realized that I hadn't given you the most recent and assuredly the last update on a certain subject. Remember the fraudulent address issue? If not, flip back through my blogs...one of my finer moments if you ask me. Well, the issue never resolved...we stopped getting stuff from Wells Fargo, but continued to get stuff from Sprint...no matter what we did. I can't lie, I was incredibly frustrated, but I finally figured it was just something that I couldn't do anything about and would have to deal with.

I was SO wrong! One day I got home from work to 2 packages on my porch. I wasn't expecting anything, but was still incredibly excited! I got to the packages and saw that they were from Sprint. "You have got to be kidding me..." I started to feel that familiar feeling of anger, but it was quickly replaced by a rush of horribly devious pleasure. I hurried into the house and opened the packages (I stopped worrying about opening stuff with this person's name on it a long time ago). Lo and behold, each box contained a brand new phone. I couldn't believe it!

It's not like I could use the phones, or pass them on to someone who had Sprint...I'm sure the phones could be tracked once activated. However, I was bubbling with excitement at the realization that Monica had finally been beat at her own game. Bills and statements are one thing...equipment...what did she expect, for me to drive across town and drop the phones off at her house with a little note on flowered stationary saying "Here's the phones that sent to my house because you're fraudulently using my address to get your kids in a different school even thought I explicitly told you you couldn't. Hope you enjoy!"? I think not!

So, after playing around with the phones for a while because they were a new model that looked like fun, they were shipped back to the recycling plant. I will admit, I pocketed the chargers because they fit my phone...I'm so bad. However, the beauty of this...all phones sent to the recycling plant get checked for damage, paired with a charger, and sent off to be used by either the military, battered women, or someone else who needs them.

This was the best poetic justice I could ever hope for, and you shouldn't be surprised to know that I haven't received ANYTHING else for Monica since that day. I wish I had been able to listen to the phone call she made to Sprint.

Monica: Hello, my name is Monica and I haven't received my phones
Sprint: What is the address ma'am?
Monica: (ACTUAL address)
Sprint: I'm sorry ma'am that's not the address that we have on file. Can you verify your account some other way?
Five minutes later...
Sprint: Thank you for that verification. Now, what is the correct address for the account?
Monica: (ACTUAL address again)
Sprint: Ma'am, the address that I have on file has been being used for over 3 years. You said that you have been receiving your bills and statements, how is this the case?
Monica: uh...well...I...nevermind, it's just wrong, can we change it?
Sprint: Well sure, but I want to make sure that nothing else will be sent to the other address. Are you familiar with that address? How did it get onto your account?

You can see how I would have been thrilled to formulate this exchange in my mind and imagin Monica with her stomach in her throat.

Ah well...This, unlike the detective work from the beginning of the saga, is NOT my finest moment. But I really think that it worked for everyone...

I'm no longer receiving a stranger's mail
Monica learned a valuable lesson
Two people are getting to talk to their loved ones on brand new phones that were donated to them

I can't feel too bad!

Hope you enjoyed. I'm not REALLY this devious, I promise, but I have to admit, it was fun to see play out!

Kristin

1 comment:

Shannon said...

HAHAHAHAHA! Ok, so I just caught up on your most recent two posts. (Yay, you finally updated!) All I have to say: I love you, Kristin! :) There are so many things going on that I feel ill-equipped to comment on them individually, but wow--I'm so happy/proud/amazed by you! :)