Friday, October 26, 2007

Hello hello!

Well,
Here I am again and I'm ready to do some more filling in on the happenings of Kristin! So I think I owe you info on the progress of the reunion, work and whatever else you're in the mood to read about.

As far as the reunion goes, planning has taken off and I think we have a GREAT event to look forward to. Two of my classmates have really jumped on board to help, and they are both in Los Alamos still, so that's INCREDIBLY helpful. We have a great weekend planned, but we're kinda holding off on the announcing of everything to add a bit of fanfare to the itinerary. We also have some really neat ideas for stuff that we are going to present throughout the weekend. I'm excited to see everything come together! If you know any '98 graduates, tell them it should be an event to remember and definitely not one to miss!

Work...ahhhh...work...hmmm...well...ok, thought I was out of here near the end of the summer, but once we started getting busy again, I realized that I just need to stay busy to stay happy! Now, busy is a definite understatement and I barely have time to breathe, let alone pick apart the reasons that I'm not totally content. Really, I take comfort in the knowledge that I have put my life and soul into this place over the past 4 years, and in 7 short months that will end. I have been denied opportunities to advance, and that has hurt every time. BUT, I have truly enjoyed my time here, and the growth that I have made as an individual is incredible, so I can only be grateful. It will be hard to leave, but I can't wait to begin my new adventure of teaching!! That is the career that I want to put my life and soul into.

So...what's coming up for me? Some fun stuff!

First of all, for all you Garth Brooks fans out there, I ALMOST won a trip to his sold out concert in Kansas City. I was one of 8 qualifiers, but someone else took it. I did however walk away with a reserved copy of his 6 CD set coming out in November and $100. Can't complain!

School project: I am in the process of creating a documentary for a class. It is a lot of hard work, but the subject is one that is really of national relevance. I feel that this documentary could ideally be used nation wide to assist athletic and activity programs fight for survival and hopefully funding. The platform is

“Those students who participate in interscholastic activities are surpassing those who don't when it comes to test scores and GPA. Due to budget adjustments meant to allow for more testing materials and resources at schools that are not meeting AYP, these schools are losing their activity and athletic programs at an alarming rate. As a result, the students who most need these motivators to do well in school, no longer have the opportunity to participate in these activities."

If we gather the data that we expect to throughout this process, I truly feel that we have a good chance at making this national!

November: I am going to be going on a Carribean cruise to Progreso, Merida, and Cazumel the first week of November, and I can't wait! I've done an Alaskan cruise, and it was incredible. I am really excited to "hit the beaches" though!

Thanksgiving at my place! In case I haven't told you, I have become quite the lover of culinary arts...and I'm pretty darn good at it if I may say so. Last year I was lucky enough to have a successful Pampered Chef party that yielded quite a bit of free stuff for me. It also meant that I was given 50% of their professional pan set. My parents and I split the cost as a Christmas gift to me, and I have never had so much fun! I was also lucky enough to get a new stove in May, and I was insistent that my connection be switched from electric to gas. LIFE IS GOOD! Turns out there was a gas line back there all along, it just needed to be turned on. ANYWAY, I am hosting Thanksgiving at my place and I'm excited to have an opportunity to pull out the full size dining room table and my good china. So, if anyone is without a place for Thanksgiving, let me know and you aren't anymore!

December: Besides my 2 week Christmas break (woo hoo), my parents have decided to host Iron Cheff Derr at their house! Michael and I have both enjoyed experimenting with and learning about new and interesting culinary techniques, as well as the marriages of flavors. On December 22nd he and I will be fighting it out Iron Chef style. If you are going to be in town, we are in need of 2 more judges...let me know! We are going to put the whole thing on tape and see if we can be featured on the "How Do You Iron Chef" spot on the Food Network. Should be fun!

My mom and I are looking into travel possibilities to get us to California to assist some of the fire victims over break. After experiencing the Cerro Grande and the resulting devestation, we can truly empathize with these communities. Even more importantly, one of the most memorable aspects of that tragedy was the assistance that came from all over the world - literally. I feel that this is an opportunity to show our appreciation by doing the same for another group of survivors.

OK, I think I have truly caught you up on the saga. Hope you are all doing well, and I really am going to try to stop in weekly or so to say hi. And in order to start how I finished...goodbye goodbye! :)

No comments: